Friday 24 June 2011

The Task

When I was 13 years old, I build a lute from an Early Music Shop kit which back in the day cost all of £45 (£386.45 now - and they've grown another course).  My instrument was pretty ropey, but worked, and it left me very interested in building instruments. Between then and now, of course, life happened.

Relatively recently I discovered that the Cambridge Violin Workshop run courses in violin, viola and cello making, and I'd had the chance to play a cello made by a work colleague at their workshop, and hear other instruments made by their students.  Seems silly not to give it a try.

So, I've signed up for the 2011 summer course, which naturally won't lead to a finished cello in a week, but it will lead to a started cello, and then night classes and so forth, should, eventually lead to a finished cello.  I thought it would be a good idea to use a blog to document the process, and my progress.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment